Tomato Mozzarella WedgesCourse: SidesCuisine: Italian, VegetarianDifficulty: Easy
4 Large Ripe Tomatoes
12 Oz. Fresh Mozzarella, Large Ball
1 Large Bunch Fresh Basil, Washed and Dried
3 T. Really Good Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Cup of Balsamic Vinegar
Sea Salt and Fresh-cracked Black Pepper, to Taste
- To make the balsamic glaze, heat 1 cup of good balsamic vinegar over medium-high heat until it begins to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1/3 of its original volume, stirring continually.
- When the liquid becomes thick and syrupy, it is ready to use.
- Thoroughly wash and pat tomatoes and fresh basil dry.
- Slice tomatoes, working from top to bottom, into evenly sized slices approximately ¼” thick, and set aside. Discard the bottom and top slices.
- Cut fresh mozzarella into ¼” thick slices, as well.
- On each plate, start with a tomato slice, followed by mozzarella and a large, fresh basil leaf. Repeat this pattern until you’ve added 1 tomato and approximately 3 oz. of mozzarella to each plate, finishing each arrangement with a tomato slice.
- Drizzle with high-quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Let the glaze cool slightly before drizzling over the fresh tomato, mozzarella and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with additional sprigs of fresh basil, if desired.
Products Featured in Video: